On Thursday, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy revealed that he was organizing a “China Task Force” which would address many issues that have arisen from the Chinese coronavirus. No Democrats agreed to join the team.
“Today I am announcing the formation of the China Task Force,” McCarthy wrote. “Whether it is due to the tangle of politics or a stagnating lack of will, our country has neglected the warnings, signs, and even direct threats from the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) for far too long.”
McCarthy’s decision to start a task force comes after new information continues to come forward, showing how the Chinese government tried covering up the coronavirus and even allowing it to spread throughout the world. The lies from China allowed the coronavirus to be much more devastating than it should have been.
Check out some of the points that McCarthy used to show how China mishandled the coronavirus pandemic:
- Hid the severity of the virus and manipulated statistics, leaving the world reeling from a global pandemic
- Still refuses to allow international experts to investigate or share viral samples with the scientific community
- Forced the disappearance of whistleblowers
- Is carrying out a comprehensive propaganda campaign to spread misinformation
- Leveraged its supply chain monopoly for global influence
McCarthy also noted that the reason for the task force is to counter “the full stack of Chinese threats” the United States faces.
This is what the task force with focus on:
- Influence operations targeting U.S. and foreign governments and civil society, including think tanks, higher education, business, and media outlets.
- Export control regimes and foreign investment screening mechanisms in the United States, and efforts to coordinate and harmonize these regimes with partners.
- Chinese economic coercion of governments and businesses in the United States and partner countries, including through the monopolization of critical supply chains.
- China’s role in the origin and spread of COVID-19.
- China’s use of U.S. institutions to educate and train its citizens who then use their training to damage the national security of the United States.
- Chinese efforts to gain the technological advantage (in areas including 5G, AI, quantum computing, and other emerging technologies that may or may not have military applications).
- Chinese efforts to attain leadership positions and change norms at international organizations and standard-setting bodies.
Democrats were supposed to join the task force back in February however according to The Washington Post they “bailed on the project.”
“Since Democrats delayed participating in a bipartisan group meant to address pressing national security issues, Republicans are stepping up to execute on our original plan,” McCarthy finished. “That said, this is not a partisan issue and we invite our Democrat colleagues to join us.”
What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below!