Categories
News

MORE WINNING: Pentagon Shifting $3.8 Billion In Funds To Build More Border Wall

According to the President Trump White House, the Pentagon is now shifting $3.8 billion from the weapons program to spend on the US-Mexico southern border wall.






On Thursday, the Pentagon revealed that $2.2 billion was shifted from the fiscal 2020 budget and another $1.6 billion would be reallocated from the Overseas Contingency Operations war fund for the border wall. These funds will be shifted to the Department of Defense’s counter drug fund which will then be used for the wall.

The Department of Homeland Security “has identified areas along the southern border of the United States that are being used by individuals, groups, and transnational criminal organizations as drug smuggling corridors, and determined that the construction of additional physical barriers and roads in the vicinity of the United States border is necessary in order to impede and deny drug smuggling activities,” the notice to Congress read.

This is the second time that funds have been diverted to the wall and Democrats are not happy about it.

“While some of our Republican colleagues will lament the President’s decision, they enabled this theft by blocking our efforts to stop the President from raiding defense accounts,” said New York Democratic Rep. Nita Lowey in a joint statement with chairman of the Appropriations Defense Subcommittee, Democratic Rep. Pete Visclosky.

On Republican lawmaker was also unhappy about the shifting of funds. Republican Texas Representative Mac Thornberry took a shot at the Trump Administration for their decision.

***NEWLY RELEASED Trump 2020 Hat – Yours Free***

“The re-programming announced today is contrary to Congress’s constitutional authority, and I believe that it requires Congress to take action,” said Thornberry who serves on the House Armed Services Committee. He then continued by stating that he will be talking with his colleagues about the next “appropriate steps to take.”

“The wall should be funded, but the funding must come through the Department of Homeland Security rather than diverting critical military resources that are needed and in law,” Thornberry also said.

Check out what the Daily Caller reported:

President Donald Trump first declared an emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border in February 2019, allowing him to use executive authority to reallocate federal funds. Congress has twice attempted to rescind the president’s emergency declaration, but was unable to overturn his vetoes both times.

The Trump administration has set an ambitious goal of completing 450 border wall miles by the tail end of 2020, tackling a campaign goal ahead of the November presidential elections.

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced in a document the Daily Caller News Foundation obtained that the administration built 119 miles of new border wall in places where dilapidated walls existed or where no walls previously existed at all as of Feb. 7.

What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below!

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *