American University of Nigeria is recruiting in Nigeria to fill the position of:Professor/Associate/Assistant Professor/Instructor of Economics. Interested and qualified persons are encouraged to apply.
The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was founded in 2003 to fill in this educational gap. Opening its doors to its first class in the fall of 2005, AUN was created to be a Development University.
The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
Part of the American University of Nigeria’s recipe for success is the integration of technology across the University and the curriculum. AUN’s campus has the only University-wide wireless facility in Nigeria.
Job Title: Professor/Associate/Assistant Professor/Instructor of Economics
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duration: 2/3 Years Renewable (Full Time)
Summary of Position
- The candidate contributes to preparing students to be applied, critical thinkers and problem solvers through innovative teaching and research.
- S/he will work closely with the Dean of the school in formulating and implementing course structures that would translate to effective teaching and learning of courses in line with the development philosophy of the American University of Nigeria.
- Asides the teaching responsibilities, the successful candidate is also expected to contribute to the department’s administration and scholarly work by carrying out and disseminating high quality research.
- The post-holder will possess a PhD in Economics from a reputable university, specialize in monetary economics or macroeconomics (with an interest in African economic issues) and also be able to teach finance as well as money & banking.
- Relevant teaching and research experience and knowledge of relevant VLE technologies are required.
- Appointment at the professor and associate professor cadre will be commensurate with expected teaching and scholarly experience of candidates.
- We will also consider strong applications from recent PhD graduates at the Assistant Professor cadre.
- Candidates applying for the Instructor position will have a Masters Degree in Development Economics from a reputable university in addition to a Bachelors degree in Economics.
- Candidates should possess a strong record of academic publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals, commensurate with career stage. International experience is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills are required. The right candidate must have a strong command of English language.
Detailed Listing of Responsibilities
- Develop, prepare and deliver teaching in economics courses, especially monetary and financial economics modules, to undergraduate and post graduate students.
- Conduct research and publish papers in rigorous peer-reviewed journals.
- Promote the department’s research and scholarly activities by presenting research findings in seminars and conferences.
- Supervise research projects.
- Tutor and mentor students.
- Lead or be part of other committees aimed at promoting research, curriculum development, staff welfare etc.
- Contribute to AUN’s community service and development.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean.
Requirements for the Position
- PhD in Economics with a specialization in monetary economics, macroeconomics or finance.
- An outstanding teaching and research record commensurate with career stage.
- Experience in problem centered approach to teaching and learning.
- Record of publication in peer-reviewed economics journals.
- Candidates applying for the Instructor position must have a Master’s Degree in Economics (with a focus on Development Economics) in addition to a Bachelor’s degree in Economics.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Experience of working in Africa
- Experience of curriculum development
- Experience of organizing conferences and workshops
- Experience of developing research proposals for externally funded projects.
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Application Closing Date
Open until position is filled.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Resumes, cover letters and references to: email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- If you wish to make any informal inquiry on this vacancy please contact Dr. Jacob Udo-Udo Jacob, Interim Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, via email at email@example.com