American University of Nigeria is recruiting in Nigeria to fill the position of:Legal Officer. Interested and qualified persons are encouraged to apply.
The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was founded in 2003 to fill in this educational gap. Opening its doors to its first class in the fall of 2005, AUN was created to be a Development University.
The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
Part of the American University of Nigeria’s recipe for success is the integration of technology across the University and the curriculum. AUN’s campus has the only University-wide wireless facility in Nigeria.
Job Title: Legal Officer
Department: Office of the President
Summary of Position
The Legal Officer, American University of Nigeria, is charged with the responsibility to:
- Draft and review contracts and service level agreements
- Assist in the development of guidelines, policies, procedures
- Analyze and review legal agreements, policies and documents
- Ensure (internal & external) compliance with laid down guidelines, policies and procedures
- Assist with institutional secretarial and administrative duties
- Provide legal assistance/support for units and departments as may be required
- Interface with corporate entities and individual over compliance and regulatory issues
- Keep abreast of relevant legal and regulatory developments, laws and government policies
- Implement an effective statutory intelligence and advisory systems which support the university’s strategic and operational plans
- Monitor the university’s relationship with external counsel and relevant government agencies
- Prepare periodic reports for management’s consideration; and
- Perform other sundry duties assigned by the In-House Lawyer/Secretary, the President or the Board of Trustees, in accordance with the policies and procedures of the University.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Interest in corporate law and company secretarial duties
- A strong work ethic characterized by high integrity and professionalism
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to process information and make clear and definite recommendations on course of action
- Possess good business and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, prioritize assignments and deliver superior results
- A Master’s degree or good first Degree in Law or related discipline from a recognized University, plus Call to the Nigerian Bar
- Membership of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA)
- A minimum of three years industry-related experience working as a legal practitioner in Nigeria
- Experience of working in an academic environment is highly beneficial
- Proficiency in the use of Information and Communications Technology tools and e-resources.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- This person may also have certain teaching, service, scholarship, and/or other administrative or support responsibilities.
- Ability to develop a work schedule, set goals, creates / implements actions plans and monitor progress towards goals.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Skill in typing/word processing and use of personal computer/software.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and confidentiality.
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their resumes, cover letters and references to: email@example.com
Note: The position being applied for should be the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.