Veteran Nollywood actress, Bukky Ajayi, is dead. Sources close to her said the respected thespian died at the early hours of today.
Her last public appearance was at the 2016 African Magic Viewers Choice Awards-AMVCA in March were she gave a heart warming speech after receiving her lifetime achievement award.
The reaction by Nigerians to the passing of the actress described her as a mother to the nations’ movie industry.
The late actress had in March been honoured along with Sadiq Daba at the 2016 edition of the Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards for their contributions towards the development of the nation’s movie industry.
And many Nigerians rejoiced at the face that she was celebrated and her contributions to the industry recognised during her lifetime rather than after her death as is often the case.
10 facts you should know about the Late Bukky Ajayi
- She was born a Christian but converted to Islam in the early eighties and chose the name Zainab.
- Her love for the theatre started as a young girl when her father used to take her to the cinemas.
- She studied in England. She was abroad for six years, as a Federal government scholar.
- She left England and came back to Nigeria after her education in 1965 and started out working in Nigeria Television Authority(NTA) as a presentation assistant in 1966.
- Afterwards, she became a presenter and then a news reader.She presented a couple of children’s programmes and ‘Nigerian’s Sketches,’ a programme which was all about Nigerian culture, and Diran Ajijedidun of blessed memory was her producer.
- She was later transferred to Port Harcourt and later back to Lagos, and it was at that time she started her acting career.
- She started with the ‘Village Headmaster’ in the 70s, and she later got a role in Amaka Igwe’s ‘Checkmate.’
- She has featured in so many home videos that she has lost count. Shooting of international film ‘Critical Assignment’ in South Africa, is one of the events of her life that she will never forget. It gave her an opportunity to see how it is done elsewhere, other than Nigeria, where a movie is shot in five days.
- Bukky Ajayi’s popular movies include Mother of George, Indecent Girl, Diamond Ring, Witches, Thunderbolt among others.
- She’s Jazzman Olofin’s grandmother-In-law.
She will forever be missed by all.